SANDOWN – A chance drive-by spotting of a brush fire helped the Sandown Fire Department stop what could have been a dangerous blaze on Main Street last week.
In the early afternoon of Thursday, April 24, the fire department responded to a brush fire in the vicinity of 485 Main St. According to fire chief Bill Tapley, the high winds that buffeted the region that day had an electric wire bouncing off a tree and sending sparks to the ground. Those sparks caught the brush and a fire quickly built up.
Tapley noted that it was lucky a driver spotted the blaze, as the wind not only pushed the fire along but pulled the smoke away, making it harder to see.
The area, close to where Sargent Road branches off, is less populated than other sections of Main Street.
The department responded with about 10 firefighters and both the brush fire and structure fire equipment from the station. Tapley noted it was best to be prepared in case the fire spread, and thus more or less “emptied the barn.”
The department also pressed a couple of highway department workers into the fray to help combat the blaze. They did a great job, said Tapley. He thanked director of public works Artie Genualdo after the fact for letting him borrow his guys.
The fire approached the home at 485 Main St., jumping from one side of the driveway to the other, and came to about 25 feet to the house.
While the fire was put out before it hit the dwelling, an engine was set up next to the house just in case.
Tapley said it was a lucky break to get to the fire early because the wind was set to spread the fire fast.
Later that day Sandown helped Auburn battle a structure fire that started in the brush.